Weather Forecast

Cannot get Mashonaland East location id in module mod_sp_weather. Please also make sure that you have inserted city name.



1974 From the Magazine

fter 10 years of the sanctions which has followed the declaration of UDI money was tight and various commodities scarce. 1974 was the calm before the storm of the "lean years."

The school with 5 houses was full to bursting with 380 boys, but the first sign of the deteriorating "security situation" were there with the Chimanimani Expedition being unable to cross into Mozambique, as in previous years.

Rector: B. R. Fieldsend M.A. (Oxon.), B.A. (S.A.)*
Senior Master : J. M. W. Davidson, B.A. (Oxon)*
House Masters : Ellis: M. M. Graham, M.A. (Oxon) Paget: J. W. Greenacre, M.A. (Cantab) . Grinham: J. M. W. Davidson, B.A. (Oxon) ' Malvern: G. Martin, B.A. (Oxon) Founders: P. J. Ginn, B.Sc. (Rhodes)
Chaplain : The Reverend J. du S. Reid, G.O.E. (Dublin)
Assistant Masters: B. D. Bagshaw, B.Sc.(U.C.T.)* K. Bedwell, B.Sc.(London) P. Brodsky, M.A.(Birmingham) ' D. A. Clayson, B.A.(Rhodes)* J. M. Coates, M.A. (Oxon) M. Coleman, B.A.(London, U.C.R.) P. J. Ginn, B.Sc.(Rhodes) M. M. Graham, M.A. (Oxon) J. W. Greenacre, M.A.(Cantab)* A. Greenhalgh, B.Sc.(Manchester)* T Haskins, (Woodwork) J. C. Hodgson, L.R.A.M., L.T.C.L.(Director of Music) D. I. S. Jacklin B.Sc.(Wits) * C. S. E. Johnson, M.A. (Oxon), L.I. Biol.( Careers Master) A. Kennedy, D.A. A. G. A. Larthe de Langladure, B.A.(London) J. S. M. McGregor, M.A.(Oxon.) G. Martin, B.A.(Oxon) G. A. C. Morton, B.Sc.(London)* J. A. Porter The Rev. J. du S. Reid, G.O.E.(Dublin) (Chaplain) A.P. Singleton, M.A. (Oxon) (Careers Master) A. P. C. Taylor, B.A.(U.C.T.)* I. R. Walker, B.Sc. (London) P. E. Ward, B.Sc.(Hull)* M. I. Westwood, B.A. (Wales)
*Indicates a Diploma or Certificate in Education.
Bursar and Estate Manager C. R. C. Owtram, M.B.E., M.A.(Oxon)
Rector's Secretary Mrs. M. Kennedy
Sanatorium Sister W. Upshon

Head of School T. J. Kemp
Heads of Houses
Ellis: M. J. Stanning
Paget. A. W. Siddle
Grinham. T. J. Kemp
Malvern: L. W. Ross
Founders: N. J. Young

•    All connected with the school were distressed by the tragic death of Dr. Hamish Allan in April. Dr. Allan had been the school doctor since the day the school opened in 1955. We welcomed Mr. MacGregor and his family to join the History and English departments and be House Tutor for Malvern.

•    In May Mr. Haskins and his family joined us. Mr. Haskins has taken over the Maintenance Department and the teaching of Carpentry. This is something of a family reunion, since Mrs. Haskins is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Brodsky.

•    We congratulate Mr. Bedwell, House Tutor for Grinham, on his marriage to Sally Brainier in April, and also wish him well in his new post next year.

•    Mr. Westward left at the end of the year for South Africa. His enthusiasm and expertise in the Climbing Club and Hockey will be missed.

•    During the year both Mrs. Simpson and Miss Watson left after many years of devoted service in the Bookkeeping Department. They will be sorely missed.

•    New buildings erected during the year include a further block of African Quarters and a shelter with toilets and changing rooms at the swimming pool.

•    Considerable improvements were made to the Squash Courts, where two courts have been fitted with wooden floors, and the gallery and entrance have been walled in to provide security and protection from the weather.

•    Malvern House showers were redesigned and tiled and work on the tiling of Grinham House showers was begun--interrupted by a shortage of cement.

•    The main drive to the Administration Block was tarred, an improvement long needed and most welcome. Work on stone retaining curbs and drainage has been going on steadily--again interrupted by the cement shortage.

•    The domestic watersupply was re-piped and a treatment unit installed. Plans for a new school dam are in hand.

•    Our congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Ward on the birth of a daughter Billy.

This has been a very busy and successful year for Peterhouse drama. No less than four productions were mounted at the school, and there was also Mr Jacklin's Marymount entry.
In the fist term Mr. Taylor's highly professional production of The Caine Mutiny Court Martial deservedly won the Inter-Schools competition, to repeat the success of his Twelve Angry Men in 1973.

In the second term Mr. Clayson produced Galileo as Junior School play, and scored an undoubted success with it. In the last term of the year there was Mr. Graham's Production of Zigger Zagger on the Open Air stage, and at the end of term Mr Taylor's staff play. Blithe Spirit. In the same term Mr. Jacklin was busy over his Marymount entry, which starred Mark Hayworth and Archie Sadza. They won second prize in the competition; a very fine effort.

Those who are interested in drama have felt during the year that the school has really made a breakthrough. Parents and local residents now regard the plays that Peterhouse puts on as performances to be enjoyed rather than sat through with suffering. Much of the credit for this lies in the fact that the school won the Inter-Schools competition in two successive years; but the Open Air plays have also played their part Whatever the reason, plays have never been more popular, and the standard of acting has never been higher. One matter of great interest this year has been the reception of the various audiences to .'Zigger Zagger". The producer was careful to remove anything that he felt might be offensive from the script, but even the expurgated version seemed to shock some people. It was a fascinating reminder of how insular we can get in this country, and how cut off from the mainstream of theatrical life. At the same time, heaven preserve us from the rubbish which is being produced in Britain in some theatres at this time. On the technical side, a good deal has been done to improve the stage. New flats have been built, and new fly curtains installed; a great improvement. Now we look forward to a new Hall; the drawbacks of the present one become more and more obvious, and harder to put up with. Perhaps most of all we need new chairs for the auditorium.
It has been a good year, and it is just as well to have something to complain about.

The two expeditions to the Chimanimani mountains this year were made memorable by the poor weather. The May trip was for B3 and B4 and they did well to complete the majority of their projects. They had the advantage of being able to use the Mozambique side of the mountains. By September two blows had fallen. The Parks had closed the Corner in the North West of the range on account of terrorist dangers, and the Police in Melsetter forbade us to cross the Portuguese border.
We spent some time at Peterhouse trying to find alternative projects for the boys and eventually came up with the idea of giving them two two-day projects instead of the usual three-day major project. Most of these depended on good weather as they were in the peaks or over rough and unpathed ground. In the event B1 and B2 encountered a very severe thunderstorm complete with hail and consistently unsettled weather. As a result no group completed both projects and some groups neither, though they did try hard to complete their first one.

After considerable further discussion here it was decided that this new system was not really a success and that there was not enough scope on the Rhodesian side alone for a whole week, but that equally it was hardly worth going up for a shorter period. Consequently we have approached Mr. Bailey who is Warden of Outward Bound Mountain School, and he has agreed to run these courses for us with assistance from our staff.
The scheme we worked out will give the boys four nights in the mountains and three at the Outward Bound School. They will do a one-day and a three-day project in the mountains and will also learn such diverse topics as map-reading, first-aid, knots, rock climbing and canoeing. There is no doubt that there will be enough for them to do nor that this will prove to be a challenging and stimulating week. I believe that it will be more beneficial to the boys than were our own courses.
B3 and B4 will go on the first of these in May.

Pete Ginn led his 13th Expedition to the Kalahari.

First XI Won 7, Drew 10, Lost 2.
The January term was a great disappointment because of the wettest season on record. A heavy defeat at Prince Edward was followed by a very good all round effort in winning at Umtali. Then the rain took charge. It washed out the Mount Pleasant game when we had them at our mercy, and St. George's also just survived after a 2 p.m. start because of rain. Stanning (6-3-7-4) and Sharp (8-5-12-5) having remarkable analyses. The Petreans game was washed out and was only remarkable for Smith's O not out in the 90 minutes of play.

It was a sad term from a weather point of view, but was most encouraging in that it was obvious that this was developing into a very good team.
At the end of August we went on a tour of the Northern areas.
The Michaelmas term opened with a resounding victory at Ellis Robins, the batsmen scoring at a great pace. Clark the left arm spinner bowled very well (3-2-2-5) in the first innings and Gael, off spin, (4-1-8-5) in the second. Marandellas was easily beaten, and a tame draw with Oriel followed. The Prince Edward game was a thriller. Stanning and Smith added 138 very quickly by brilliant running and hard hitting. When P.E. were169 for 5 we seemed to have the game in hand, but they crept up until they waned 10 off the last over; they could only mange 5, however, so it was a draw. A similar match occurred against Churchill, when, chasing 154 we were 36-7. But the late batsmen supported Young so well that, amid intense excitement, we lost by only 8. The Falcon match also had a thrilling end. Walton played a very fine innings, and Clark bowled at his best, but we could not get the last pair out - another frustrating moral victory. There was another thrilling draw at St. George's, our last pair playing out the final five overs with the utmost confidence.

The strength of the side lay in its batting, which was good down to No. 9, and the last two showed more than once that they could do as well as most. Walton, the captain, was, of course, outstanding. He made 675 runs during the year, and Stanning, who became far more reliable was not far behind with 464. Each of these passed the 1 000 run mark for the First XI. They were both selected for the Nuffield trials, Walton to captain the Mashonaland side. Young also batted very well, and his wicket keeping was very good. He was most unlucky not to be selected for the trails. Walton was selected for the Rhodesian team for the Nuffield Tournament in Kimberley.
The bowling was not as good as it should have been. Sharp and Stanning, the openers were too inaccurate, both of them having trouble with their runs, resulting in many no-balls. This, coupled with the strong batting side, was the cause of so many draws. Declarations by other sides were too cautious, and we did not seem to be able to break through the tail-enders. Clark, however, made a big advance, and was awarded the Petrean prize for the most improved player. Chance also improved a lot and became a most useful all-rounder, and Rowse found his form later in the season and then did well.

Colours were awarded to Smith, the new captain, and Sharp in the Michaelmas term, and in the Lent term to Van Blerk and Rowse.
A tribute must be paid to Walton, the captain, and to the senior members of the team for the keenness and enthusiasm of the First XI. They never tired of practice, so that the fielding was of a very high order. Very few catches were missed, and a lot of very good ones were caught. It was a year of most enjoyable and attractive cricket.

This was a tremendously successful and enjoyable season, one of the highlights of which was just losing 7~0 to the Rhodesian team which subsequently beat Spain, the European Champions. We started with an untried team and though, apparently, very strong in attack we were very weak in defence. We had a stuttering win against Hamilton; we thrashed Morgan though lacked cohesion and then played Cranborne the same day and, much fatigued, could only draw. Two things were evident at this stage: we could not rely on the individual ability of team members and would have to get supremely fit; and, also, the team seemed unable to be welded successfully into the Pyramid (5-3-2-1) system.

This present author, having suffered himself at the hands of professional coaches, derived much pleasure from inventing a complicated and painful method of training on a competitive basis. This made us undoubtedly the fittest of the school teams. The other problem was not so simply solved. After a lot of thought we decided to take the plunge and put all our faith into a new system which was better suited to our strengths and weaknesses. It was exciting and great fun to change our concept of the game and made us all think hard. We played a 3-3-4 system, which the German side have since adopted and won the World Cup with. This is not the place to comment on the system, except that it spread the work load evenly, enabled players to change positions, meant that we always held mid-field and enabled us to move from defence into attack with great speed and fluidity.

The first two games with the new system yielded us 15 goals, though against Parktown, a Johannesburg School, we could only manage 1 in a very broken game. At the Mashonaland Trials we played beautiful hockey and impressed everyone, especially when we had to anchor our goal keeper to the posts, to prevent him joining in the attack. And whilst we had six players at the Trials we could still beat Mount Pleasant. At this stage we had won seven out of eight matches and scored thirty goals to six.
The end of the season saw us play the toughest matcher and we came out of the last five games without a win and with a rather embarrassing goal average. In every game we held mid field yet could not convert territorial advantage into goals. We drew with Churchill in a nervous and tight match. We then lost to Oriel after taking an early lead, but played very badly indeed, which was disappointing. We lost to the Petreans when we should not have done so (I do not say we should have won!). We seemed unsettled against P E too, and lost to them after scoring first.
Our last match was against Falcon and again we took the lead and again dominated much of the play. This was a match we desperately wanted to win. Immediately after half-time with the score at one all, knowing we had to score quickly as we were so tired we rose to the occasion, exerting tremendous pressure for fifteen minutes and even getting a penalty flick. It was a fine sight and a sad one, for the penalty flick was brilliantly saved and we could do no more. Our defence, a little shaky, let in two goals and we lost.

Beattie, the captain, never found the net as regularly as we had hoped and often ran away from support. His duties as captain were performed with responsibility. Rowse remained exceptionally steady and hard throughout the season and terrorised opposition goal keepers at short corners. His attacking game was somewhat limited by the system but he cheerfully accepted his new role and proved invaluable in defence. Cumming, in goal, eventually got used to the entire opposition forward line racing unchecked toward him and cheerfully chased the ball from wing to wing outside his 25; he was too often distracted by supporters, though. Gibson was a conscientious member of the team and played with determination at ORH, positioning himself sensibly. Gael, at IRH, was happier staying back as cover but fitted in well in the back four and improved considerably with the disciplined support given him. Thomson at OLH worked very hard indeed; he was unselfish, tackled hard and frequently came forward to join the attack.

At centre link, Chance improved considerably and steadily as the season developed. He has good ball control and distribution and enjoyed his slightly more attacking role. Walton worked hard at right link and came through frequently to score goals. Moss was voted the most improved player of the year and usually occupied the left link spot; he worked hard and intelligently at mid-field.
Our two wings often had the beating of their opponents; Howland by speed and Smith by persistence, and, with Beattie, kept every defence under pressure. In many cases we were, individually, not the equals of our opponents, but by great team work and team spirit, fitness and confidence, we always did well. Indeed, the 34 goals we scored came from ten people, which shows how we all piled into the attack. It was a happy and enjoyable season and I would like to thank all those who co-operated, especially Mr. Singleton, who endured frequent timetable changes to accommodate the wishes of the moment of the first XI. Thanks also to the team itself for its support and thoughtful gift, and finally, good luck to Mr. Martin and those of my team who are staying for next season.
Team: Cumming, Gibson, Gael, Rowse, Thomson, Walton, Chance, Moss, Smith, Beattie and Howland.
Colours: Seattle, Rowse and Chance.
M I Westwood

It was clear from the outset that the First XV was a side that would have to struggle to break even; struggle it did, and that most commendably, but break even it did not, even by including the Petrean match in the list of results !
The season started with a deceptively easy win against Cranborne, whose marshmallow tackling made scoring far too easy. The next two matches brought the team face to face with the reality of its own shortcomings: the forwards lacked mobility and drive, and the three-quarters lacked the real pace to make incisive attacks and were suspect in defence, a weakness which not all Glanville's valiant covering could paper over. A heartening win was recorded against Mount Pleasant, and so the season went on . We lost, not always necessarily, to the bigger schools ; and we won, usually creditably, against the others. In general the team played good rugby when it was allowed to: as the four second-half tries engineered by good backing up against Marandellas bear witness; but it lacked the strength to impose its pattern on any but the weaker teams and was too easily hustled into defensive errors. The side played as well against Falcon as at any other stage of the season, and tried desperately to achieve the one victory that would have made all the defeats worthwhile, but it was not to be.

Of the forwards, M. Clark and Harvey played with considerable drive and purpose, but the front five as a whole lacked mobility and were pushed around in both scrum and line out more than they should have been. Thornton's leadership was efficient but lacked the flair to minimise disaster. The back row ofDuffy, Fox and Young would, it was thought, be the strength of the pack, but it usually proved to be too slow to the point of breakdown to be able to turn defence into attack.
Outside, the two positions which were most difficult to fill satisfactorily were both key positions: scrum-half and full back. After van Blerk's injury early in the season, the search for a scrum half yielded fruit only when Cocks was converted from 2nd XV eighth man; the full back was occupied at one time or other by four different players, the last of whom played as well as any. Glanville, captain and fly-half, played himself to a standstill every Saturday: his example was admirable. Of the three-quarters Hodder the apostate was the most elusive runner and displayed, commendable determination for one so slight. He was the side's leading scorer with the wings Nudds and Popplestone running equally second.

During the season, colours were awarded to Glanville, M. Clark and Harvey; M. Clark was selected to play for the Rhodesian School's XV at Craven week and against the "Thistles"; and Melkjorsen was selected as a reserve against the "Thistles".

You are here: Home The History Memories Memories 1970-79 1974 From the Magazine